The following sections were designed for use with Session 4 of the FH Team Training Manual.
For Further Thought…
1. In light of this discussion about relationships, how would you respond to the following question, “Wouldn’t it be better just to give money rather than spend all this money on traveling over there?”
2.What are some behaviors, customs or lifestyles that you have seen (in your travels, or in the U.S.) that appeared to be inefficient, irrelevant or humorous? What gave you that impression? Why?
1. Read When Helping Hurts by Brian Fikkert and Steve Corbett. This book tackles the issues that lead to bad development and how to approach development with a healthy, God-honoring posture.
2. Listen to Three Mistakes to Avoid on Short-term Missions, an interview with Steve Corbett.
3. Read “The Best Big Sister in the Whole Wide World”, a story about dependency (online exclusive: information not included in print versions of the Short-term Teams Manual).
4. Read Generous Justice by Tim Keller. In it, Keller explores a life of justice empowered by an experience of grace: a generous, gracious justice.
5. Read Krista’s Story, which tells about a short-term team member and how she advocated on behalf of Uganda when she returned to the U.S. (online exclusive: information not included in print versions of the Short-term Teams Manual).