The questions below are also available on page 38 of the FH Team Training Manual.
The following are a few suggestions of things to think about during your daily debriefing time. These questions will allow you a glimpse into what your fellow team members experienced during the day, what God is teaching them, or something they are learning about the host country or culture.
Read a devotional from Sharing God’s Heart for the Poor by Amy Sherman (included in this booklet) or another devotional.
Choose one or two questions from the list below:
- Today’s highlight / lowlight was…
- Today, I can praise God for …
- The funniest thing I saw today was….
- If I had to describe today in one word it would be….
- Something I saw today that I have never seen before is….
- The hardest part about today was….
- One story about today that I’ll want to tell people back home is….
- One reason why I am glad that I am serving on this team is….
- One quality I really appreciate about another team member is….
- One characteristic of God that I experience today in a great way is….
- After today’s experience, one characteristic that I need to work on is….
- The sound I will most remember hearing from today is….
Focus on the Culture
- What are your initial feelings: frustration, joy, anger, sadness, guilt, etc.?
- What has fascinated you here?
- What breaks your heart?
- If you could make one change what would it be?
- What are you most thankful for in your own culture?
Focus on your Response
- How is the trip comparing with your expectations?
- What are you finding awkward or difficult?
- What has been your favorite part of your experience so far?
- What are some similarities between American culture and culture here?
- What have you learned from the people you have talked to about what their lives are like?
- Is there anything that has moved you?
- Have you heard anything that has surprised you?
- What are some things that God has shown you during the week?
- How was your time here different from the expectations you may have had?
- What have you experienced here so far that has given you a different perspective?
- What do you appreciate the most about your time here?
Focus on Application and Re-entry
Discuss the following questions in the final days before you return home.
- When you return to your church, someone may ask you how your time on the field was.
- If you only had 1 minute (and this will probably be the case) how would you answer?
- What are 1 or 2 things God has shown you this week through your time here?
- What part of your time here most impacted you and why?
- What have you experienced here that has given you a different perspective?
- What was the greatest challenge or the hardest part of being here?
- What did you appreciate most about your time here?
- What will you say when people congratulate you for giving it all up to serve “those poor wretches” in another country?
- What was the greatest challenge to being here?
- What is going to be the most difficult part of your experience to explain to your friends and family?
- What you have been given here is a gift.
- Nobody else is going to fully understand your experience.
- Don’t live in anger, guilt or frustration.
- God doesn’t judge you for the culture you live in. Be thankful and plan on how to be a good steward.
- How will you take what you have learned to be an advocate for the vulnerable back home?